With the event of Pinterest, leading platforms now claim their contributions for a more elegant web.
Amazon, E-Bay, iTunes, Digg all have gotten a face lift and come across cleaner.
Young social media folks take their design and decor inspiration almost exclusively in one direction:
Why should the German nation, renown as design nation, not profit from these trends and let go of a cluttered, skeumorphic tabloid look-and-feel in favour of a modern day interface with sophisticated, investigative journalism and finally accept the obvious role the rest of the world holds for Germany and Europe?
Unsolicited propositions seem to be common these days. Now here is mine.
German ad trade magazine re-imagined
Station to Station
Less cluttered, cleaner.
More focused, more inquisitive.
For two years I have compared the offerings of the two leading German trade magazines, Horizont.net and Wuv.de online. By daily skipping over its offers after which Adweek, Advertising Age, newer puplications such as Fast Company’s Co-Design and a handful of adored marketing practitioners blogs consume me a whole lot more.
Once I become concerned with content, I see how it compares to content from the German or English language Feuilleton.
The night before Christmas allowed for the concentration needed to do a facelift for Horizont.net, after I had decided to steal the new digg design.
Here’s the result from before Christmas in before-after fashion:
Horizont.net re imagined
- Getting an overview of the content is easier.
- Contet becomes feasable and relevant, when in the context of development outside the country’s borders and industry’s bounderies.
- Horizont takes on responsibility as the leading magazine of the German marketing practitioners
- With its content Horizont demonstrates political aim at making the German design nation look good and identify and introduce local beacons of genius to the global and European competition.
- The new self understanding is more demanding toward ad agencies and brands.
- A more relaxed and laid back tone of brand voice is also more essentially stringend and authorative. Chumming up and cynicism are not part of the repertoire.
- Horizont collaborates with brands, agencies and art schools.
- Technical measures are compatible with, or supersede proven, successful developments around the globe.
- Technological measures play an important role in marketing.
- Involved readers are welcome and enabled through sharing of content. Eventually voting is enabled for fitting articles and editorial projects.
- Income through advertising are incentivised by integrated, content-sensitive mini formate (see The Deck) for examples.
- Banner und interstitials are no longer available. A new business model is being tested.